MIL-PRF-23699F - Synthetic Base Aircraft Turbine Engine Lubricating Oil
We perform lubricants quality testing by military specification MIL-PRF-23699F, which covers gas turbine engine lubricating oils used for aircraft engines. This military specification covers three classes of gas turbine engine lubricating oils, primarily used for aircraft engines, which have a nominal viscosity of 5 centistokes at 100C and which are typically made with neopentyl polyol ester base stocks. All three classes of this oil (Standard (Non-Corrosion Inhibiting) (STD), Corrosion Inhibiting (C/I), and High Thermal Stability (HTS)) are identified by NATO Code No. O-156.
These lubricating oils are intended for use in turbine engines and gear boxes for air, sea, and ground mobility equipment. These oils are designed for operation within the approximate bulk oil temperature range of -40C to 204C (-40F to 400F). The STD class oil is intended for use in normal performance turbo equipment where concerns about ferrous material (gears and bearings) corrosion induced from extended periods of inoperation in a moist environment is not a concern. The C/I class oil is intended for applications where corrosion inhibition is desired. The HTS class is for use in hot running engine designs where evidence of oil coking and/or degradation is noted. All the lubricant classifications are interchangeable and fully compatible with each other; however, mixing across classifications will diminish the added benefits of the C/I or HTS oils and the mixture will revert to the STD level of performance.
To read or download this specification, click HERE. We also perform testing according to Specification MIL-PRF-23699G; to learn more about that version of this specification, click HERE. This specification superseded MIL-L-23699.
The following is a list of test methods we perform according to Specification MIL-PRF-23699F. To learn more about one of these tests, click on the test below.
- SAE ARP5088 - Acid Number Test
- FTM 3403 - Compatibility of Turbine Lubricating Oils
- FTM 5308 - Corrosion & Oxidation
- FTM 3604 - Elastomer Compatibility
- FTM 3433 - Elastomer Compatibility
- ASTM D972 - Evaporative Loss
- ASTM D92 - Flash & Fire Point
- ASTM D892 - Foaming Sequence
- FTM 3411 - Thermal Stability & Corrosivity
- ASTM D97 - Pour Point
- ASTM D1748 - Rust Protection
- SAE ARP4249 - Rust Protection Test
- FTM 3010 - Trace Sediment
- ASTM D2603 - Sonic Shear Stability
- MIL-PRF-7808L §4.4.4 - Storage Stability
- ASTM D2532 - Kinematic Viscosity
- ASTM D445 - Kinematic Viscosity