MIL-PRF-17331J - Moderate Service Steam Turbine and Gear Lubricating Oil
We perform lubricants testing by specification MIL-PRF-17331, which covers lubricating oil used in turbines, gears, air compressors, and hydraulic equipment. This military specification covers a single classification of steam turbine and gear lubricating oil for use in main and auxiliary turbines and gears, air compressors, and certain hydraulic equipment, as well as for general mechanical lubrication. This lubricating oil is identified by Military Symbol 2190 TEP and NATO Code No. O-250.
To read or download this specification, click HERE. This specification supersedes military specification MIL-L-17331.
The following is a list of the tests required by Specification MIL-PRF-17331J. Some of these tests are customized for this exact specification. Alcor Petrolab and Phoenix Chemical Laboratory specialize in unusual and custom testing, and our testing capabilities are continuing to expand; contact one of our laboratories today to discuss the exact testing you need. To see more information about one of these tests, click on the test method number.
- ASTM D2622 - Sulfur by XRF
- ASTM D974 - Acid/Base Number
- ASTM D665 - Corrosion Protection
- ASTM D130 - Corrosion Copper Strip
- MIL-PRF-17331J §4.10 - Oil Compatibility
- ASTM D95 - Water by Distillation
- ASTM D4052 - Density & API Gravity
- ASTM D92 - Flash & Fire Point
- ASTM D97 - Pour Point
- ASTM D445 - Kinematic Viscosity at 4.4°C, 40°C, 100°C
- ASTM D1401 - Water Separability
- ASTM D943 - Oxidation Stability
- ASTM D4310 - Sludging & Corrosion Tendency of Mineral Oils
- ASTM D2272 - Oxidation Stability
- MIL-PRF-17331J §4.6 - Homogeneity
- ASTM D892 - Foaming Sequence
- ASTM D4898 - Particulate Contamination by Filtration