MIL-PRF-23827 - Aircraft, Instrument, Gear and Actuator Screw Grease Specification
We perform quality and conformance testing by Military Specification MIL-PRF-23827, which covers a low-temperature grease used on aircraft and instruments.
This lubricating grease is identified by NATO G-354. This grease is intended for use in ball, roller and needle bearings, gears, and on sliding and rolling surfaces of equipment such as instruments, cameras, electronic gear and aircraft control systems that are subject to extreme marine and low temperature conditions not encountered in commercial aviation. It can also be used for rolling and sliding surfaces of equipment with low motivating power (low torque equipment). This lubricating grease has an extremely low volatility, which is advantageous in preventing oil fogging in aircraft optical instruments. This grease can be used on aircraft gears and actuator screws.
To read or download this specification, click [HERE]. This specification supersedes military specification MIL-G-23827.
The following is a list of tests required by Military Specification MIL-PRF-23827C. Some of these tests are customized for this exact specification. Alcor Petrolab and Phoenix Chemical Laboratory specialize in unusual and custom testing, and our testing capabilities are continuing to expand; to discuss the exact testing you need, contact us today. To see more information about one of these tests, click on the test method name below.
- ASTM D4048 - Grease Copper Corrosion Test (Modified per Specification)
- FTM 3005 - Dirt Content of Grease Test
- ASTM D2265 - Grease Dropping Point Test
- ASTM D2595 - Grease Evaporation Loss
- FTM 335 - Grease Gear Wear Test
- ASTM D3336 - High Temperature Performance
- ASTM D2596 - Grease Four Ball Test
- ASTM D1478 - Low Temperature Torque Test
- MIL-PRF-23827 §4.5.1 - Odor Test
- ASTM D6184 - Oil Separation from Grease Test
- ASTM D942 - Oxidation Stability Test
- ASTM D217 - Cone Penetration Test
- ASTM D1743 - Grease Corrosion Prevention Test
- FTM 3467 - Grease Storage Stability Test
- ASTM D1264 - Grease Water Resistance Test
- FTM 313 - Grease Penetration Test
- MIL-PRF-23827 §3.4 - Workmanship (Visual Inspection)